Wednesday, August 5, 2009

August 5, 2000

Nine years ago today I walked up a flight of stairs in downtown Long Beach and met my destiny. He thought I was on the elevator and when I opened the stairwell door, we collided. The rest of my life started at that very moment.

A few minutes after that clandestine meeting, another monumental life-changing event occurred. My destiny walked me to his condo and introduced me to the most amazing dog I have ever known, my beloved Kuma.

That day I had the best date of my life. I arrived for lunch and I didn't leave until 4am. Bryan was funny, kind, attentive and above all else, a perfect gentleman! We talked for hours over our Taco Beach lunch, then sat on his couch and talked for hours over a six pack of Sierra Nevada pale ale. That night we went to the Foothill and saw OO Soul perform a live set and then popped in Notting Hill back at his place later so that I could clear my tipsy head before driving home.

It's amazing to me how very vivid these memories are in my swiss cheese brain. I was 22 years old and I fell hard. Nine years later I sometimes feel like I'm still falling.

Thank you my dearest, my darling, my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Aww. I still think you should have let me stalk you guys and sit behind a menu to make sure Bryan wasn't a psycho killer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quest que cest

    Fa fa fa fa fa!!

    ReplyDelete