Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Dinner 2009

Last night was our first Thanksgiving dinner in Casa de Schmidt. It was just the two of us, as it always is these days, but it was still a GREAT day for me. It is one of my favorite days of the year and I start my menu planning early and I even LOVE my grocery shopping preparations! I started cooking at around 7am and dinner was on the table at 5:30 pm....a Schmidt family RECORD!!!

Schmidt Dining Room Menu

Turkey-stuffed with Apples, Shallots, Rosemary and White Wine
Savory Mushroom Bread Pudding
Horseradish Mashed Potatoes w. Caramelized Onions
Roasted Root Vegetables
Mache Salad w. Creole Vinaigrette
Cranberry Sauce
S'mores Pie (that pie deserves it's own post!)


I've made a family stuffing recipe for YEARS before I decided to try something new last year and LOVED it. Bryan did finally admit last night that this one is a little egg-y for him, so I think I'll try different one next year.

We both love this mashed potatoes recipe. Yummy creamy horseradish and sweet caramelized onions? You CAN'T go wrong!

I kinda winged it with this dish. I knew I wanted roasted root veggies, but I couldn't find a recipe that had the veggies I wanted, so I just bought what I needed myself and loosely followed some guidelines. I chose sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, shallots and whole garlic cloves. Geezus- it was delicious!!

My beloved cranberry sauce! I made it for one this year, since Bryan doesn't care for it. But I DON'T CARE!! I love this stuff!!

Yay for Turkey Day! Gobble, gobble, gobble...

No comments:

Post a Comment